Saturday, July 11, 2009

The End Of Tarts

Today was the last day on our tart unit. I'm having my first exam in two days and I'm crazy nervous, but in a good way. The kinda nervous that forces me to study my butt off and get super organized. So right after I'm done with this blog I'm gonna go organize a bagillion flash cards... a typical fun filled Saturday night for me : )

So here are a few more things I've done in class since my last posting.

My Tarte Bavaroise au Chocolat.

The decoration is a cre'me chantilly which is piped on using a conique- a cone you make out of folded parchment paper. using a conique is about a billion times harder then a traditional piping bag and my 'thumbs up' is covering a monstrous decorative disaster in the middle : )

Look how lovely Chef Toni's Tartelettes looked.

I've also made a yummy Quiche Loraine with real bacon, not something that came out of a package, but honest to goodness smoked bacon that came in huge strips as big as your forearm!

We made Tartelettes Tatin Facon Rapide, aka apple tartlettes with carmel turned upside down. It is assembled with carmel on the bottom layer, then raw apples slices and pastry dough on top, bake it and when it comes out of the oven, while it's still hot, flip the little bugger upside down to plate it. Sound good right? Carmels and apples you're thinking... yummy. Chef was excited for this, she described it as a simple but classic dish. But I was completely unimpressed. It's the first tart we've done where I've been disappointed. The taste was just blah and it looked like a hot little mess. It's cool in theory, the flipping of a carmel tart, instead of applying a carmel glaze, but it needs some work.

And Finally for the big finish... my Linzer Torte. A wonderful raspberry compote tarte. The raspberry compote is very labor intensive and the lattice needs to be treated with tender love and care. It's the perfect raspberry tart in my opinion.
I was so completely looking to taking this home and getting a slice. To bad the side walk ate it first.

Before

After


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is so saaaaaaad! how is this thing different than a pie??

Unknown said...

Its almost like someone died...I even got a lump in my throught. jane

CHeeren said...

Leslie: where do I even start with that comment? (i'm rolling my eyes right now) How is it different from a pie, ohhh you! hahah it has almond creme on the bottom for one which is different, it's made from a different type of dough and it's not using raspberry compote, it's more like raspberry jam. But yes you're right it does look a lot like a pie.

Jane: no one died! Don't wear black for the next week plz.

M. said...

That's so tragic!